The Wirtz Model SBP-8-200 Steel Belt Paster is a ruggedly built machine that is designed for high speed production of continuous strip with pasting paper or glass mat. The system achieves accurate control of pasted plate weights and plate thicknesses at pasting speeds up to 200 feet per minute.
The machine can be configured to run continuous cast grid strip, single panel, lugs in or lugs out. It can also paste punched grid or expanded metal grid strip (customer to specify). The internal hopper roller design allows adjustment to crush oxide particles or lumps in the paste. A change in grid height requires changeover of the upper orifice plate to cover the proper plate dimensions. A variable speed drive on the hopper provides controlled paste feed. The steel belt paster includes a precision paper/glass mat roller system that allows for fine adjustments for the placement of the paper and keeps the system under proper tension.
Grid Entry Table
The grid entry table is located before the hopper and it helps assure paste flow underneath the grid. With proper adjustment the grid entry table will hold the grid off of the belt in the pasting area.
Servo Thickness Control (OPTION)
We have installed a servo underneath the steel belt to help customer make plate thickness adjustments in the range of 0.005″ increments. These adjustments are made right on the panel view and can be tied into any kind of a plate thickness system.
Wirtz has redesigned the orifice plates to allow easy plate flow to the bottom side. Improvements and changes mean that you can apply equal weights and thicknesses of paste on the top and on the bottom side of your grids.
- Pasting tolerance of plus or minus 2 grams
- Plate thickness of plus or minus 0.002” (0.54mm)
- Increased plate and battery performance
- Increased productivity; machine speeds up to 200 feet per minute
- Cleans up environmental problems
- PLC Control with operator interface
- No cloth pasting belts
- No shovel back of paste into the hopper
- Every plate consistent in size; reduces production problems
- Plate thickness can be adjusted while paster is operating +/- 0.015” (0.38mm) from nominal thickness setting
- Change over time for grid/plate height – 15 minutes
The Wirtz steel belt paster sends grids and paste between a steel plate of custom design and a rotating steel belt. The movement of the belt helps the system be production friendly, but the grid strip and the paste need to be of good quality.
- Continuous grids with consistent thickness throughout.
- Can paste almost any grid thickness
- Rigid square grids with few missing wires. Lugs cannot be bent or have flash on them.
- Density 3.8 – 4.3 grams per cubic centimeter.
- Moisture content 11-14%
- Globe #1 penetrometer reading of 24 – 35
- Fiber less than 0.06” (1.52mm) max in length, non bailing type.
- Temperature after mixing should be about 45 deg C (115 deg F)
- Mixer and paster must be thoroughly cleaned daily.
- Sieved lead oxide assures no oversize particle through the system.
- * These parameters represent typical starting points. With experience with your paste formulas we may find larger ranges.
*These are very general specification and will change based on the exact configuration of the system that is ordered.
Electrical: (Supply 480VAC, 3 phase , 60 Hz standard) 200V to 575V, 50 Hz or 60 Hz, Control Voltage: 24VDC Main Electrical Panel
Compressed Air: Supply pressure to be 65 to 85 PSI (4.48 to 5.86 bars) Air consumption is approximately 1 cubic foot per hour
Supply pressure to be 20 to 50 PSI (1.38 to 3.45 bars) Maximum consumption rate during machine operation is 6 GPH for metal belt and roller cleaners (22.7 liters/hour). A solenoid valve limits water spray application to periods of machine operation only. Requires clean water source with minimum mineral solids content connected to a ½ inch NPT inlet cartridge filter.
Daily machine wash-down is recommended using high- pressure water. (900-1200 PSI or 62 to 82 bars at about 2 gallons or 7.57 liters/minute rate).